Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Sunday, April 10, 2005

WHERE WAS I? by s. streight

I wish I could have been there by your side
close to you the day she died
and then again, on the day
the day you stood there by her grave.

I wish when reality hit you in the face
I wish, how I wish I could have taken your place
to shield you from this terrible blow
loosen the grip of life’s hurtful throes.

But I wasn’t, I was not there
the day you stood and stared, just stared
at the casket where she lay
on that fateful, fateful day.

Though in body I was not there
across the miles I felt despair
the solemn cry of one alone
the cry of one who’d lost a home.

I feel! I know! I let you down
the day they placed her in the ground
the day they lay her soul to rest
the day I failed to give my best.

We just got back from Oklahoma. My husbands mother died unexpectedly a week ago today. She was just short of turning 77 in May. It was a sad time for all involved, especially her children. The time of grieving will go on for a time and hopefully, healing will follow close on the heels of grief; until then, it will be hard for them.

A nice aspect of the whole situation was the coming together of family members from both sides that had not seen each other in a long time. Too bad it takes something this dire to bring all back for a reunion. I also got to see my kids, a little treat on the side in such a situation as this.

I guess that's it. Hopefully the next post will be on a happier note.

posted by Mines Broken @ Sunday, April 10, 2005  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home