Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Weird, I Know
This is weird, I know, but it happens to me a lot. Here's the story. We went to Gettysburg today. It's getting close to the date, July 1-3 1863, when the huge battle took place during the Civil War. I've been there many times before and always feel, I don't know, kind of heavy or subdued when I walk the park where the heaviest fighting took place. I feel a sadness. The park is getting ready for the re-enactment of the battle on July 3, which they say was the turning point for the war. Re-enactors are beginning to come in and walk the town and even camp on the actual grounds dressed as either North or South and will reproduce the battle for several days.

A little history first; In July of 1863, General Robert E. Lee's Army Of Northern Virginia of 75,000 men and the 97,000 man Union Army Of The Potomac under General George G. Meade met. Before it was all over, a total (from both sides) of over 51,000 men died. Over 172,000 men and 634 cannon had been positioned in an area encompassing 25 square miles. Additionally, an estimated 569 tons of ammunition was expended and, when the battle ended, 5,000 dead horses and other wreckage of war were left for the small town of Gettysburg (2,400 then) to clean up.

Ok, so like I said, I've been there many times and always felt sad and heavy. Today, I wanted to cry and get out of there! I actually felt moved to tears, and burdened like a weight was on me. I also felt oppressed, and fear. None of these emotions were mine, I didn’t' feel them myself, but they would come over me in certain places. I began to realize that I felt this when I stood in a location of heavy loss of life and when I removed myself from these locations to somewhere where there was not a large loss of life, the feeling would lighten.

I don't know how to explain it nor do I want to. The only thing I can figure is that maybe it had something to do with the re-enactors being there so close to the actual battle time. I know, I'm different but I've always had these experiences since childhood. I always give it back to God and leave it in his hands where he can take care of it.

So...that's what happened to me today.

posted by Mines Broken @ Sunday, June 27, 2004  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home