Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Poem of the Day

STRUNG UP TIGHT

The dreadful weight of this hatful place
hangs around my shoulders
A heavy load, I’m forced to bear
engulfs me like a girdle.

Strung up tight, forced to fight
a banter weight I am
yet I will be the heavy weight
before this whole thing ends.

Yesterday was my anniversary. I spent it in carpentry class; not the most romantic place to be. It was the last night however, so that's where we went. My husband sent me a dozen red roses though.

Poteau:The ten year accreditation was coming up. Joseph needed my husband to get the college through it. He did too, with flying colors. The college was accredited for another 10 years with no stipulations which is nearly unheard of. For the entire time we were there, my husband applied for various jobs across the country. We didn't get the proof, but know that Joseph was giving bad references. No one would come right out and say so, but implied it. I told my husband he should just go into each interview letting the people know what was going on in Poteau.

The situation had become more than just unbearable; it had become a health crisis for the entire family. Both my husband's and my income came from this place and one man had the power to take all the years of hard work we'd put into our life and family away with one lie.

On December 6th, 2002, Joseph dropped the bomb. It was the last day before Christmas vacation when the college would be closed until after New Years. Joseph called my husband into his office and told him that he was not going to recommend to the board that he be rehired in January. He handed him a pack of lies in written form and sent him out into an uncertain future. My husband had done nothing except tell Joseph that he was not scared of him when Joseph told him he should be. The college enrollment had increased since my husband had taken the job, he got the college through the accreditation with flying colors, Joseph had hindered his being able to move to another job because he needed him for the accreditation and when it was a sure thing, then dumped him.

My husband went to both the local paper and one in Arkansas. They took the story and it made front page news. He called all the regents and told them the story. I knew this would do no good because they had already backed this unethical and dishonest man for 30 years. (It's my opinion that no college president or board should be in power for this amount of time. I stand by my opinion of the man and board as well.)

I would love to put the accusations out for all to see and my husband’s response, but it would take way too much time and energy. Let's just say that both the regent's and Joseph were entirely unethical, dishonorable and corrupt in my opinion. My husband was supposed to tell his side at a meeting and the board totally dishonored that. The papers were there again and again, it hit the news. This time the papers contacted former employees and also the former VP and printed direct quotes from them backing what my husband had to say. People that were going to speak for my husband were called up and told not to show up at the meeting. Joseph implicated accreditation members in his lies stating they had made comments about my husband when in fact, they had not. We know this because my husband spoke directly to the people Joseph indicated had said something negative about my husband.

I applied for a job at OSU in October and got an interview. By December, I had not heard anything. My husband was to receive pay until June when his contract ended. In the mean time, he interviewed and was hired for a job in Indiana after disclosing the entire thing at CASC. One day later, I was offered the job at OSU but had to turn it down due to my husband’s job. I worked at CASC until April and then quit. Ironically, I was rehired at CASC due in large I think, to the fact I had contacted a lawyer about my contracts and had a possible law suit. My husband left in May for his new job and my kids and I stayed in Poteau until school was out.

My husband lost his job, but we had documented proof that CASC had not handled money properly in the federal programs and pulled off having the college audited. They are now paying money back. Our name was not even allowed to be mentioned in the college by anyone.

Many people came up to us and told us they supported us for what we had done, that it needed to be done. Before we left, one of my daughter's friends that didn't even know her parent's were connected with the college went around town telling the kids that Joseph's 66 year old wife Melba, had offered him $500 to sleep with her. She told this kid that her husband was gay and told the kid with whom. His being gay was a rumor that I had heard before many times. I think he is bi-sexual myself, but who knows.

Thus ends the saga of Poteau. I learned many things about people and myself during this experience. There are practically no laws that protect the employee in the work environment. Documentation is very important if you're in a bad situation. Your rights to freedom of speech are stifled in these types of situations. The most important thing both my husband and I learned was to keep your integrity intact and stand up for yourself. When you have a bully for a boss they can make your life unbearable. Chances are they're going to can you anyway. GO DOWN FIGHTING!!!

A book that really helped us in our fight is entitled The Bully at Work by Gary and Ruth Namie. I would recommend it to anyone who is in this type of situation at work. We found out too late, but the book gives information on a place that for a small fee will do a reference check on employers to see if they are giving you a had reference. It has been accepted as documented proof and can be used in court.

To all who have ever been in our situation and to all who may be, you have my heart felt sympathy. You can come through it and beyond it. Don't give yourself up in the process.


Workplace Bullying and Trauma Institute:


posted by Mines Broken @ Wednesday, December 03, 2003  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home