Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Thursday, October 30, 2003

Poem of the Day

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

Been there done that,
know what it's all about
Day in, day out,
taking crap from a tyrannical lout
makes your life seem out of whack
feet hit the floor, barely out of the sack
to work you go and start once again
pretend, pretend and then defend.
I say it again only louder now
I want to go, and I will somehow.
Trapped by money and payments too
That statement should give a clue
As to why I stay and why I'm here
Came about by a lousy career.

Poteau Continued: In December of 2000, Joe's wife was retiring and I was supposed to take her office. It was one of the things that supposedly went along with my taking her job after she retired along with a ten month contract and some other privileges. She retired, but she did not move out of her office. I said nothing, but had a wait and see attitude.

In December of 2000 at one of the parties Joe throws for regents and people who donate to the college foundation, Joe pulls my husband off to the side and talks to him. He says he's just trying to do his job and he's sorry he has to be so hard. Later, he comes up to me. He's drunk and 63 to boot. He laces his fingers through my fingers on both hands and then is going to try to kiss me. I moved my head to the side and he lands a big, wet, nasty, old man kiss on my neck! UGH!!! Then he starts asking me if my job is ok, is the salary good enough, are they treating me well, etc. I am repulsed, but have to act like it's ok he has slobbered on my neck. On top of all that, he serves liquor at these functions and has college kids working them. Some of these kids are not 21 and are sneaking into the liquor. I also wonder about the legality of some of the things he is doing.

I began receiving full-time pay in January of 2001. Even though I was told I would have Melba's office, (the president's wife) and even though she was retired, I shared an office with another employee. I kept telling my boss and her boss that my job was for a ten month contract, that I had been told I was taking Melba's job and that she had a ten month contract and that I was supposed to move into her office when she retired. My immediate boss did not know about the office until I told her, but her boss did. My bosses told me that my job was for 12 months, so I kept working even though I was told by Joe himself to let my boss know who my husband was (which says a lot about the way the silly man thought) and that to quote him, "We don't do those summer jobs or do those overnight trips."

Around June of 2001, Melba finally begins to move out of her office. She asks me if I was sure I didn't want the office. I told her I did. I heard nothing for around three weeks when she tells me that Joe wants to keep her office for faculty. Again, I say nothing but by now, could see that my husband and I were on Joe's hit list just as the previous VP and his wife had been.

Then, something else happens. I continued telling my bosses that my job was for 10 months. In June, I receive a contract for 10 months, sign it and show my immediate boss that my contract was indeed for 10 months and send it back upstairs. My boss tells me that she will have to let her boss know because he thought my contract was for 12 months too. I work the rest of the day and go to my husband's office to go home. It is then that my bosses' boss, comes into my husband's office and tells me that my contract was wrong and he has had it changed to 12 months. I tell him he has no business doing that and I am not coming to work until the man that hired me, the president, tells me differently. I don't go back to for several days and then am contacted by my bosses boss who tells me that I am supposed to follow due process by talking first to my boss and him and then up the ladder. I tell him I want to talk directly to Joe. I finally give in and start the climb up the due process ladder.

More tomorrow. Too bad I didn't file sexual harassment against Joe when I had the chance because it starts to get ugly from now on.

posted by Mines Broken @ Thursday, October 30, 2003  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home