Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Monday, September 22, 2003

Poem of the Day

THE LAST TIME I SAW YOU

The last time I saw you
the sky was gray, as it is today
and my heart had begun to brood
with the fear, you'd never hear
what my heart had to say.

Verbally, no sound was made
but from inside my heart did break.
Silently I quickly prayed
this time you'd hear my heartache.

You didn't though, you never spoke
you never heard a word
of the pain my heart contained
nor the dying of my hope.

You walked away, your back to me
I hoped this was a joke,
but on you marched, my soul to parch
for eternity.

I looked again, and you were turned
your emotions then, hard to discern
I caught a look within your eyes
could it be, you didn't want goodbye?

Nothing much, then was said
as you continued on
but I think, your heart too bled
realizing I'd be gone.

"See you later" with unsure voice
was said by both of us
and our eyes, met one last time
we neither had a choice.

Poteau Continued Have you ever been some place that was so beautiful you could hardly believe it, but the feeling just wasn't right? Poteau is such a place. It is the only area of Oklahoma that has mountains. The Kiamichi Mountains are said to be the remainder of a huge mountain range that once soared as high as the Rockies do now. Wild life is abundant and the view is something to die for. To the front of my house loomed Cavanal Mountain which was advertised as the highest hill in the world. The view from the back was just as awesome. Sugar Loaf and Poteau Mountain were within view as well as Arkansas. I lived on Scott Bluff which was about half way up Cavanal. To see the top of Cavanal covered by clouds and the valley shrouded in fog with the light shining on it from above just plain took your breath away.

The area is truly beautiful, but many of the people are not. So much could have been done with the town, but the "Old School" woudn't allow it. It is a clanish town and many new business have been run out if the owner wasn't born and bred in Poteau or had not earned a place after living there many years. It is one of those places that one or two people own the whole town and you live or die on their word. It was rumored that one of the so called society people of the town, a car dealer who shall remain nameless, but was extremely wealthy, had been known to put hits out on people. He was also the local bookie.

Poteau was known as "Little Dixie." Its political affilation was mainly Democratic. These were bible thumpin' types that carried the word, but didn't follow it. You could see them in church on Sunday and ripping someone off later that night. Potea is a dry county. That's why you had boot leggers who ran their drugs and booze. I often wondered why such a corrupt town bothered to run a dry county and then I figured it out, they made more on the illegal booze than they would have if it had been all above board. Don't get me wrong, you could buy liquor, you just couldn't have liquor by the drink. This was something that also kept the town from growing.

On a lighter note, one particular type of wild life gave me heck over and over. I had parked my car in the garage as usual and decided to go into town, but when I tried to start the car it wouldn't start. I called the guy to tow it in and the problem was a pack rat had decided to make my motor her new house. The starter wires were in her way so guess what, yep, she chewed them through. The mechanic said it was a common problem. I couldn't believe it, a pack rat nesting in the motor of my TransAm? It cost around $200 to repair the car. I go out the next day and the same thing happens. This time I raise the hood myself and see all her sticks and a feather and some string and....chewed wires. I call the guy again and spend another $200. All was well for around a week and here she comes again. She seemed to like sticks, feathers, twine, and this time some hair from some type of animal. The car goes in again for another $200. I asked the mechanic each time what I can do to stop this, that it is getting way too expensive and he says he doesn't know. Finally, I put rat poison under my hood. I felt bad, I mean after all, she was just trying to survive, but please, not at my expense! That did the trick. I didn't see Miss Pack Rat ever again!

More later as the saga of Poteau continues.

posted by Mines Broken @ Monday, September 22, 2003  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home