Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!

Monday, October 27, 2003

Poem of the Day

AS THE WORLD SPINS BY

The clock ticks
as the world spins by
silent hands collecting time
measuring space from now till then
a new one born,
an old one dies
and me
somewhere in-between.

Poteau Continued: Ahhhh.....Operation #3! The first of September was my third and last operation in nearly as many months. Two doctors were to be in on the process, my urologist and my gynecologist. The urologist was to put a stint into the urethra so my gynecologist would not accidentally cut the urethra which would have been a major, major problem. I go in bright and early on the morning of the operation, except this time, I am smarter. I tell all people involved that I do not want anything to calm me down before the operation this time. I want no more allergic reactions to this stuff. All agree with me and I am rolled in. But can I just be rolled in, NO!!! I have to have an asthma attack. Thank goodness it was not bad!

Ok, I'm lying on the operating table all naked and the urologist is sitting in the operating room and I hear the nurses and the doctor discussing my height. All the sudden, he yells out, "Sherri, how tall are you?" I tell him and he says, "See, I was right. I win!" The little midget (he wasn't very tall himself) had bet on how tall I was! Then they put the thing over my mouth and nose that is supposed to put me out. In the previous operations, two breaths and I'm out. With this one, I just keep staying awake. The nurse says she'd like to get this started and I, (just to let them know I'm not out) yell that I am not asleep and please don't start yet! I found out through that experience that you don't go out nearly as fast without all that stuff they give you before the operation.

The next thing I know, my gynecologist is whispering in my ear it is over and all is ok. They wheel me into my room and I think I'm dying! Really! I was so tired. They have me hooked up to morphine. Every time I feel pain, I'm supposed to push this little button and take a hit. Every time I hit the button though, I feel really sick. I lost 5 pounds because I couldn't eat. I wouldn't suggest this as a way to lose weight though!

Pretty soon, I start feeling sorry for myself. I am far from family and friends. I have no visitors except for my husband and three kids that live with me and they can't stay long due to school and work. The rest of my family is 3 hours away. I am sick and sore and have had three operations in a place I don't know, by people I don't know and blah, blah, blah.

I wake up in the night and the catheter is really bothering me. They spend the rest of the night trying to fix that because it keeps pinching closed and won't work properly. It is a pitiful thing to have to pee and not be able to unless a nurse is messing with the tube that allows it. Gross, I know, but what can I say?

I'm in the hospital for three days. The urologist comes in the day I'm supposed to leave and literally rips out the stint. This one is different than the other one. This one is hard plastic and not just a tube like the other one. This one is squiggled like a pig’s tail. OUCH!! Next comes the nurse to "take the staples out." "Huh, what are you going to do?" "Just take a hit on the morphine" she says. That's ok with me lady, if you don't mind being puked on, I don't mind doing it for you. She proceeds to get a staple puller and takes them out just like you would on a piece of paper.

Meanwhile, back at the job of terror; more to come tomorrow

posted by Mines Broken @ Monday, October 27, 2003  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home